Are you an exceptional communicator with at least five years’ experience in journalism or communications? Are you committed to social justice and health equality?
We are looking for a communications manager to implementation of HEALA’s communication strategy and to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate communications to support HEALA’s primary policy advocacy campaigns.
This person must have the ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment.
HEALA is a coalition of civil society organisations advocating for equitable access to affordable, nutritious food in South Africa by building a more just food system.
HEALA’s mission is to create a platform for communities to organise and mobilise around policy and the realisation of the right to affordable, nutritious food.
Find out more on our website.
- Fixed term position – 1 year contract.
- Location – Rural Health Advocacy Project – Rosebank Johannesburg.
- Closing date 25 April 2022.
What we’re looking for
This work is all about conveying information to various audiences, including a range of cultures and international partners, donors and NGOs. The skills we’re looking for include:
- Fluent written and spoken English as well as one other South Africa language.
- Sound knowledge of the South African media sector, including news production cycles and outlets.
- Basic knowledge of social media and website metrics, including Twitter and Facebook.
- Experience with web content management systems and newsletter delivery systems such as Mailchimp is a plus.
- Proven ability to translate health and/or scientific research jargon into easy-to-understand language; experience in helping researchers and experts do the same is an added advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the ability to communicate about complex issues in sensitive and compelling ways.
- Willingness to travel nationally or internationally as required.
What the role looks like
Key performance areas include:
- Designing, writing and editing advocacy communications materials for the HEALA coalition and specific policy advocacy campaigns
- Managing the content and co-ordination the reporting for all of HEALA’s digital platforms including the WordPress website, MailChimp and social media channels (Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn)
- Facilitating effective communication within the HEALA coalition and with external stakeholders
- Building and maintain relationships with the media
- Overseeing event management
- Effective self-management and performance ownership
Find out more
How to apply
Accepted applications will comprise of two parts:
- Your CV detailing all relevant experience and education
- A cover letter answering these three questions:
- Please describe a piece of communications work that you are proud of and provide links where possible. What was your role in creating this work?
- What are three important values you would embody as the communications manager for HEALA, and can you give examples of how you embody them already?
- What are two concrete learnings from your experience working in communications sector that you would bring to HEALA?
Please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: RHAP-Comms Manager before 15 March 2022.